Friday, September 14, 2012

Week 1, Day Two

After our safety quiz on the Hazardous Materials Identification System, we got right to work on our first tools.  We created a poker tool in two different sizes as a general use item.  Using the bench motor, I filed down the dowel to get rid of any burrs or flashing.  The goal was to achieve a nearly flat surface, with just a slight bevel.  After shaping the dowel, I inserted I large spring needle (.057" x 63mm) into the center of the cylinder.  To ensure that the spring needle would penetrate the wood, I used a silicon carbide grinding wheel to grind a point on the blunt end of the spring.

   I repeated the process with a smaller dowel and spring, creating a more agile tool that can be used in many scenarios.  The springs on both dowels were inserted in the wood exactly one half of the spring length.  After completing the project, I had acquired knowledge of operating a bench motor safely and accurately.

No comments:

Post a Comment