Friday, September 14, 2012

Week 2, Day Two

This weeks task is becoming a pro at checking pads for total coverage and perfect sealing.  In order to do this, I created a pad seal checker.  Using a .02 x .3 mm strip of Mylar, I glued on the plastic strip to a small wooden dowel.  This was my first time using an acetylene torch to melt glue and affix an object.  The end result consisted of a new skill learned as well as two usable and delicate feeler gauges.

Before using my duck bill pliers and pad slick tool, I had to clean up the tools.  Over a period of two hours, I used 325, 400, and 600 grit sandpaper to remove many of the machining marks on my tools.  Following the sanding, I took the pliers and the pad slick tool to the buffing machine.  Using yellow compound, I applied the buffing compound to the tools to create the smoothest finish for my tools.  I ended up repeating the sanding and buffing process as I found additional inconsistencies in the metal after my first buffing session.  I have now successfully used the buffing machine and feel confident in maintaining a separation of various compounds so as now to hinder the result of buffing different metals.

No comments:

Post a Comment