Thursday, September 20, 2012

Week 3- Lathe Project #2

This week came with an additional challenge: Create your own tone hole leveler!
Starting of with two crudely cut brass cylinders, I used the lathe to face the end of each leveler.  This was the first time I had worked with a tool bit on the lathe, and was careful to use a dead center point to line up the tool bit exactly at the center of the cylinder.
I began with the large cylinder and finished up with the smaller leveler.  The process was lengthy, but only to ensure that the facing was of the highest quality, without flashing or a slight dome.  As a final touch, I sanded down one end on each leveler with 600 and then 1200 grit sandpaper.  This was to smooth out the grooves left by the mechanical finish of the lathe.  On the opposing ends I adhered sand paper, to be used in sanding down uneven tone holes.

No comments:

Post a Comment